USO of Illinois Hosts USO Week
Monday, February 1:
- USO Discovery Kids presents: “USO Cupcake Wars: 75th Birthday Edition.” With support provided by the Chicago Blackhawks and Fresh Market of Lake Forest, IL, military kids will learn how to bake and decorate special cupcakes from a professional baker, making their own mini USO birthday cakes. A pizza party and special movie showing in the USO Great Lakes’ PepsiCo Movie Theatre will follow. Time: 5:00pm - 8:00pm Location: USO Great Lakes facility, Building 27, Naval Station Great Lakes, Great Lakes, IL.
Tuesday, February 2:
- USO Military Spouse Night: A fun, community-building social gathering for active duty military spouses presented at the USO Rock Island center, in partnership with Army Community Services. The monthly event is a social opportunity for military spouses to meet and make new friends. The event features USO Game Night activities and trivia contest, a meal supported by Texas Roadhouse. Time: 6:00pm- 8:00pm Location: USO Rock Island Center, Building 110, Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, IL
Wednesday, February 3:
- USO’s 75th Birthday Party hosted by CNA, featuring a special Ceremony, Cake Cutting, Live Music and Luncheon with special edition USO Canteen Menu, circa 1941. Military Color Guard, National Anthem sung by recording artist, Alleece Baker and the USO Jazz Ensemble. Time: 11:45am - 1:15pm Location: Hubbard’s, 2nd Floor, CNA Building 333 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago
Thursday, February 4— USO’s 75th Birthday!
- USO Press Conference and Birthday Cake-Cutting at USO O’Hare, Terminal 2 Center: featuring a Mayoral Proclamation from the City of Chicago commemorating “USO Day in Chicago” Time: 7:30am - 8:30am Location: USO O’Hare Center, Mezzanine Level, Terminal 2, above Delta Airlines ticket counter.
- USO of Illinois Center Birthday Celebrations: Birthday cake and refreshments is being served to all visitors at the 5 USO of Illinois Centers, each Center will be festively decorated with balloons and streamers. Time: 7:30am - 5:30pm
- What Our Communities Are Teaching Us: Strategies Aimed at Supporting America’s Transitioning Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families. Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University (IVMF), in partnership with the USO of Illinois and Illinois Joining Forces present a discussion around collective impact and the experience of various communities across the U.S. in implementing theories into practice in support of transitioning service members, veterans, and their families. Time: 10:00am - 1:00pm Location: The Harold Washington Library Center, Multipurpose Room B, 400 S. State Street, Chicago, I
Saturday, February 6:
- For the past 9 years, the Westmoreland Paddle Platoon has hosted an Annual USO Paddle Marathon with proceeds going to USO of Illinois. Founded in 2007 by Tom Maentz and Scott Johnson, the USO Paddle Marathon is held at paddle courts around Chicago with the founders playing at the Westmoreland Country Club and has raised over $110,000 in support of USO of Illinois programs since its inception. This year, Westmoreland and a few other local Clubs have designated February 6 or February 13 as USO Paddle Day. For the more than 330,000 service members and their families served annually by the USO of Illinois, this kind of support is tremendous. This year the event is expanding with a new partnership at the Winter Club in Lake Forest.
- USO Volunteers serving USO Birthday Cake and Girl Scout Cookies to service members of the 183rd Fighter Wing, Illinois Air National Guard, Springfield, IL. USO will be providing special sweets and treats at lunchtime for units of Illinois National Guard service members in appreciation for their service to our nation and communities. The free desserts are made possible by the USO of Illinois and the Girl Scouts of Great Chicago and Northwest Indiana and is a way for the USO to provide and extra special touch of hospitality and “home away from home” for military that the USO is famous for. Time and Location: 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM at Abraham Lincoln Airport, 183rd Fighter Wing, Springfield Illinois.
More from the USO
Mar 11, 2019
Test Your Knowledge with our Women's Military History Quiz
Did you know that over 15% of active duty service members are women? Thanks to you, the USO is there for them during every stage of their military careers. What better time to learn more about the storied military history of service women?
Mar 1, 2019
15 Must-See Photos of Female USO Supporters to Celebrate Women’s History Month
To kick off March and celebrate Women’s History Month, we put together a slideshow of historical and modern photos that showcase a handful of the many ways female USO supporters are always by the side of U.S. troops.
Feb 27, 2019
Sully H.W. Bush Enlists as a Walter Reed Service Dog at USO Bethesda Ceremony
Sully H.W. Bush, the former service dog of the late President George H.W. Bush, officially has a new job, and joined the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center's Facility Dog Program today. Here, Sully will support ill and injured service members, their families and hospital staff during the road to recovery.