By Michael Case
Our service members and their families make incredible sacrifices every day, but especially when service members are on deployment, with limited time and ways to speak with one another.
For over 77 years, the USO has been helping connect troops to their loved ones by providing phones, calling cards and more to make it easy for service members to hear their loved ones’ voices from thousands of miles away.
You can help ensure that our military members get the USO support they deserve. Take action, donate today.
Check out these historical photos of phone calls home through the years:
1. c. 1957 - An Army private makes an overseas phone call from USO Seoul in South Korea.
2. 1970 - A sailor calls home from USO Saigon in Vietnam.
3. 2017 - A soldier calls home using a phone card.
4. c. 1985 - A service member uses the telephone at a USO center.
5. 2017 - Soldiers relax and use their smartphones at a USO center in South Korea.
6. c. 2004 - Sailors talk on their cell phones at a USO center.
7. 2009 - Service members use the phones at a USO center in Kuwait.
8. 1972 - A service member calls home from USO Frankfurt in Germany.
9. 2016 - A Coast Guardsman talks on the phone in a USO center.
Thank you USO donors for helping us provide troops with free calls home!
The USO is a not-for-profit organization and not part of the Department of Defense. The appearance of DoD visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
More from the USO
May 22, 2019
5 Outdoor Activities That Pay Tribute to the Fallen on Memorial Day
As the first long weekend of the summer, Memorial Day is often filled with barbecues and outdoor activities, but it's also a somber holiday intended to reflect on our nation's fallen heroes. Here are 5 things you can do to honor the fallen while still enjoying the outdoors.
May 22, 2019
Heidi Murkoff Visits Military Moms-To-Be During a USO, What to Expect and Target present Special Delivery Visit to Fort Campbell
Best-selling author of the pregnancy and parenting "What to Expect" book series, Heidi Murkoff, visited new and expecting mothers at Blanchfield Army Community Hospital on May 6, in conjunction with her USO Special Delivery Baby Shower and Reunion on Fort Campbell.
May 21, 2019
'Brought Everyone Together': Airmen in Remote Montana Get a Much-Needed Visit from a Mobile USO
Being on duty for several days at a time in remote, central Montana has its challenges. But for a group of lucky Airmen, the USO was there to provide entertainment, respite and moment of relaxation at just the right time.