By Mike Case
Since World War II, the USO has brought a little bit of comfort and a reminder of home to our men and women in uniform serving overseas. Whether they were shipped overseas in World War II or just received yesterday in Kuwait, USO Care Packages have reached generations of service members, no matter where they are in the world. Check out these historical photos of USO Care Packages throughout the years:
1. c. 1942 - As World War II raged on in Europe, volunteers in Iowa helped load USO Care Packages onto an airplane destined for lucky overseas service members.
2. 2017 - Troops stationed in Camp Buehring, Kuwait, unpack boxes of USO Care Packages.
3. 1944 - USO volunteers in Ohio prepare care packages for troops stationed on the frontlines of World War II.
4. 2017 - Marines show off USO Care Packages in USO Camp Djibouti.
5. 1967 - Army nurses receive USO Care Package items in Vietnam.
6. 2017 - USO staff pass out care packages to soldiers in Camp Buehring, Kuwait.
7. 1967 - Sailors board a bus with USO Care Packages in Okinawa, Japan.
8. 2018 - National Guardsmen in South Carolina carry boxes of USO Care Packages sent during Hurricane Florence relief efforts.
9. 1968 - Patricia Krause, then-USO Public Information Director, passes out care packages to sailors in Saigon, Vietnam.
10. 2017 - Soldiers are all-smiles after receiving a USO Care Package in USO Camp Djibouti.
11. 2005 - USO volunteers distribute care packages to troops from the 37th Engineer Battalion, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, during a refueling stopover at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
12. 2017 - Soldiers stationed at USO Camp Buehring, Kuwait, look through their USO Care Packs.
13. 2017 - A Marine holds up his USO Care Package at USO Camp Djibouti.
More from the USO
Sep 22, 2021
‘Miles Apart But Still in My Heart’: USO Supporter Crafts Cards for Service Members and Military Families
Americans have been mailing cards to members of the U.S. military for decades, hoping to lift the spirits of those serving our country away from home. But USO supporter Sharon Ware takes a different approach ¬– she shows her love for our nation’s military not by mailing cards, but by making them by hand and sharing them with the USO.
Sep 21, 2021
What is it Like to Be a USO Supporter in Alaska?
Whether staff members are catching a C-17 to fly out to Bethel, Alaska, or taking a two-day journey by land and sea to Cordova, Alaska, the USO Alaska team is ready to support service members and military families, no matter where their journey takes them in the state.
Sep 20, 2021
Meet the USO’s Global Ambassadors and Learn Why They Give More Than Thanks
For decades, actors, musicians, athletes and entertainers have joined the USO in supporting the troops. Now, the USO introduces the new USO Global Ambassadors who will act as a bridge between the civlian and military communities, and help raise awareness for the USO's crucial mission: Wilmer Valderrama and Kellie Pickler.