By Mike Case
Since World War II, the USO has brought a little bit of comfort and a reminder of home to our men and women in uniform serving overseas. Whether they were shipped overseas in World War II or just received yesterday in Kuwait, USO Care Packages have reached generations of service members, no matter where they are in the world. Check out these historical photos of USO Care Packages throughout the years:
1. c. 1942 - As World War II raged on in Europe, volunteers in Iowa helped load USO Care Packages onto an airplane destined for lucky overseas service members.
2. 2017 - Troops stationed in Camp Buehring, Kuwait, unpack boxes of USO Care Packages.
3. 1944 - USO volunteers in Ohio prepare care packages for troops stationed on the frontlines of World War II.
4. 2017 - Marines show off USO Care Packages in USO Camp Djibouti.
5. 1967 - Army nurses receive USO Care Package items in Vietnam.
6. 2017 - USO staff pass out care packages to soldiers in Camp Buehring, Kuwait.
7. 1967 - Sailors board a bus with USO Care Packages in Okinawa, Japan.
8. 2018 - National Guardsmen in South Carolina carry boxes of USO Care Packages sent during Hurricane Florence relief efforts.
9. 1968 - Patricia Krause, then-USO Public Information Director, passes out care packages to sailors in Saigon, Vietnam.
10. 2017 - Soldiers are all-smiles after receiving a USO Care Package in USO Camp Djibouti.
11. 2005 - USO volunteers distribute care packages to troops from the 37th Engineer Battalion, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, during a refueling stopover at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
12. 2017 - Soldiers stationed at USO Camp Buehring, Kuwait, look through their USO Care Packs.
13. 2017 - A Marine holds up his USO Care Package at USO Camp Djibouti.
More from the USO
Dec 6, 2021
USO Therapy Dogs: Maverick and Apache, the Great Danes of USO Missouri
Meet Maverick and Apache, two Great Dane USO therapy dogs who are ready to lend a paw and help service members one tail wag at a time. Therapy dogs can make an incredibly positive impact on service members and military families, especially those struggling with the challenges of military life and deployment.