It’s time for installment No. 4 of the USO quiz. Try your luck with these five questions, and check your answers at the bottom.
1. Who performed a special USO show at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1963? A. Perry Como and his “Kraft Music Hall” show B. Sammy Davis, Jr. C. Raymond Burr D. Bob Hope and Martha Raye
2. Who was the USO’s 40th anniversary spokesperson? A. Ann Landers B. Abigail Van Buren, (“Dear Abby”) C. Dr. Joyce Brothers D. Dolores Hope
3. In 1947, the USO did which of the following? A. temporarily ceased operations B. received its congressional charter C. received its first memo of understanding with the Department of Defense D. moved into new national headquarters in Philadelphia
4. What was the name of the USO’s newsletter in the 1950s? A. USO Report B. USO News C. USO Bulletin D. Wherever They Go
5. Who took a mini-version of the long-running Broadway hit “Hello Dolly” to the troops in Vietnam? A. Carol Channing B. Martha Raye C. Pearl Bailey D. Les Brown
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. A; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B; 5. B
More from the USO
May 25, 2017
NBC's 'This Is Us' Cast Visits Service Members and Military Families on USO Tour at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
It was a morning to remember. A group of stars from NBC’s “This Is Us” – Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson and Chris Sullivan – spent a morning visiting service members and their families at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst as part of a USO entertainment tour.
May 24, 2017
After Struggling to Find His Place in the World, Marine Finds Two Families – and His Place in Both
Deron Johnson didn't plan on joining the military, but he ended up a Marine. He also didn't anticipate becoming a fraternity brother at Texas A&M, but then came Theta Chi and its history of supporting the military - and the USO.
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.