It’s time for installment No. 4 of the USO quiz. Try your luck with these five questions, and check your answers at the bottom.
1. Who performed a special USO show at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1963? A. Perry Como and his “Kraft Music Hall” show B. Sammy Davis, Jr. C. Raymond Burr D. Bob Hope and Martha Raye
2. Who was the USO’s 40th anniversary spokesperson? A. Ann Landers B. Abigail Van Buren, (“Dear Abby”) C. Dr. Joyce Brothers D. Dolores Hope
3. In 1947, the USO did which of the following? A. temporarily ceased operations B. received its congressional charter C. received its first memo of understanding with the Department of Defense D. moved into new national headquarters in Philadelphia
4. What was the name of the USO’s newsletter in the 1950s? A. USO Report B. USO News C. USO Bulletin D. Wherever They Go
5. Who took a mini-version of the long-running Broadway hit “Hello Dolly” to the troops in Vietnam? A. Carol Channing B. Martha Raye C. Pearl Bailey D. Les Brown
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. A; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B; 5. B
More from the USO
Nov 19, 2017
Combat Cooking with USO Camp Arifjan: Volunteer Jamie's Lasagna Roll-Ups
With Thanksgiving a few days away, we’re kicking off our Combat Cooking series with this tasty lasagna roll-up recipe created by USO Camp Arifjan volunteer Army Sgt. Jamie Reed. Reed, who hails from Oregon, but is stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky., frequently volunteers her culinary skills at USO Camp Arifjan in Kuwait.
Nov 17, 2017
USO Opens Four New Locations for Troops Leading Relief Efforts in Puerto Rico
American troops deployed to Puerto Rico for hurricane relief efforts now have a home away from home where they can enjoy a snack, play video games with their friends or watch their favorite teams and shows in a TV lounge.
Nov 13, 2017
‘My Favorite Part of this Whole Deployment’: USO Camp Lemonnier Surprises Gate Guard with Birthday Cake
When deployed Army Sgt. Sean Brocious woke up on his 23rd birthday in Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, Africa, he expected the day to pass, just like the other 285 days he’d spent far from home. But thanks to a chance conversation he had at the base gate, he received a USO birthday surprise he'll never forget.