It’s time for installment No. 4 of the USO quiz. Try your luck with these five questions, and check your answers at the bottom.
1. Who performed a special USO show at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1963? A. Perry Como and his “Kraft Music Hall” show B. Sammy Davis, Jr. C. Raymond Burr D. Bob Hope and Martha Raye
2. Who was the USO’s 40th anniversary spokesperson? A. Ann Landers B. Abigail Van Buren, (“Dear Abby”) C. Dr. Joyce Brothers D. Dolores Hope
3. In 1947, the USO did which of the following? A. temporarily ceased operations B. received its congressional charter C. received its first memo of understanding with the Department of Defense D. moved into new national headquarters in Philadelphia
4. What was the name of the USO’s newsletter in the 1950s? A. USO Report B. USO News C. USO Bulletin D. Wherever They Go
5. Who took a mini-version of the long-running Broadway hit “Hello Dolly” to the troops in Vietnam? A. Carol Channing B. Martha Raye C. Pearl Bailey D. Les Brown
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. A; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B; 5. B
More from the USO
Aug 24, 2016
USO and the What To Expect Foundation Host Special Delivery Baby Shower in Dover
Being pregnant isn’t easy under the best of circumstances. But being pregnant and having a spouse in the military – or serving yourself – can make the expecting experience exponentially more difficult. That’s why the USO and the What to Expect Foundation, led by best-selling author Heidi Murkoff, team to bring Special Delivery Baby Showers to military bases around the world.
Aug 24, 2016
A Dish in the Desert: USO Piloting Expeditionary Satellite Internet Kit Program for Service Members Downrange
After months of research, two reinforced plastic cases arrived at Camp Shorab, a once-bustling Marine Corps base in Southwestern Afghanistan. When unpacked the packages’ color-coded contents provided a free USO internet connection for troops on the ground.