Think you know your USO and military history? Take this week’s USO quiz. (Answers at the bottom.)
1. The USO had an official mascot at one point during World War II. What was it? A. a service dog B. a mongoose C. a fruit fly D. a bugler
2. Bob Hope first performed for a military audience at what location? A. Nome, Alaska B. March Field, California C. Love Field, California D. Hickam Field, Hawaii
3. USO shows today are free to all service members. But that wasn’t always the case. How much did it cost in 1942 for Army and Navy troops to get into a USO Camp Show? A. 1 to 5 cents B. 10 cents C. 15 to 20 cents D. 25 cents
4. Which former Apollo Astronaut was once a member of the USO Board of Governors? A. Neil Armstrong B. John Glenn C. Michael Collins D. Frank Boreman
5. In 1982, then-USO President William G. Whyte personally accepted a $10,000 contribution to the USO from which of these celebrities? A. Woody Allen B. Reggie Jackson C. E.T. D. Shamu the Killer Whale
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. B; 2. B; 3. C; 4. C; 5. D
More from the USO
May 25, 2017
NBC's 'This Is Us' Cast Visits Service Members and Military Families on USO Tour at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
It was a morning to remember. A group of stars from NBC’s “This Is Us” – Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson and Chris Sullivan – spent a morning visiting service members and their families at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst as part of a USO entertainment tour.
May 24, 2017
After Struggling to Find His Place in the World, Marine Finds Two Families – and His Place in Both
Deron Johnson didn't plan on joining the military, but he ended up a Marine. He also didn't anticipate becoming a fraternity brother at Texas A&M, but then came Theta Chi and its history of supporting the military - and the USO.
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.