Think you know your USO and military history? Take this week’s USO quiz. (Answers at the bottom.)
1. The USO had an official mascot at one point during World War II. What was it? A. a service dog B. a mongoose C. a fruit fly D. a bugler
2. Bob Hope first performed for a military audience at what location? A. Nome, Alaska B. March Field, California C. Love Field, California D. Hickam Field, Hawaii
3. USO shows today are free to all service members. But that wasn’t always the case. How much did it cost in 1942 for Army and Navy troops to get into a USO Camp Show? A. 1 to 5 cents B. 10 cents C. 15 to 20 cents D. 25 cents
4. Which former Apollo Astronaut was once a member of the USO Board of Governors? A. Neil Armstrong B. John Glenn C. Michael Collins D. Frank Boreman
5. In 1982, then-USO President William G. Whyte personally accepted a $10,000 contribution to the USO from which of these celebrities? A. Woody Allen B. Reggie Jackson C. E.T. D. Shamu the Killer Whale
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. B; 2. B; 3. C; 4. C; 5. D
More from the USO
Aug 24, 2016
USO and the What To Expect Foundation Host Special Delivery Baby Shower in Dover
Being pregnant isn’t easy under the best of circumstances. But being pregnant and having a spouse in the military – or serving yourself – can make the expecting experience exponentially more difficult. That’s why the USO and the What to Expect Foundation, led by best-selling author Heidi Murkoff, team to bring Special Delivery Baby Showers to military bases around the world.
Aug 24, 2016
A Dish in the Desert: USO Piloting Expeditionary Satellite Internet Kit Program for Service Members Downrange
After months of research, two reinforced plastic cases arrived at Camp Shorab, a once-bustling Marine Corps base in Southwestern Afghanistan. When unpacked the packages’ color-coded contents provided a free USO internet connection for troops on the ground.