Check out some of these great stories featuring the USO and its centers in the news!
- Bobby Labonte Races For Win In Daytona 500 (The Auto Channel, 2-21-11) – 2000 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte raced for the win down to the wire in the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway and took fourth-place with his No. 47 Kroger/USO Toyota after leading once for two laps in the season-opener.
- Fort Drum Celebrates USO Birthday (IMCOM World News, 2-18-11) – Members and friends of the Fort Drum community stopped by the USO at lunchtime Feb. 4 to celebrate the organization’s 70th birthday and to honor an 87-year-old volunteer who has offered her time at New York-based USOs ever since President Franklin D. Roosevelt organized the group in 1941. “The USO still provides that home-away-from-home atmosphere, and a commitment to support our men and women in uniform and their Families,” said Karen Clark, USO Fort Drum director.
- Pat Catan’s donates $5,210 to USO of Northern Ohio (The Morning Journal, 2-20-11) – Pat Catan’s Craft Centers donated $5,210 to the USO of Northern Ohio to help them with the cost of shipping supplies to troops overseas. The Pat Catan’s in Amherst had the highest amount of donations collected.
- Lee Soldier among USO honorees (Army.mil, 2-17-11) – Fort Lee staff sergeant was among the honorees at the USO of Hampton Roads and Central Virginia 2011 Gala Saturday in the Hampton Roads Convention Center, Hampton. Staff Sgt. Robert A. Walker from the 108th Quartermaster Company, 530th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, 49th QM Group, was recognized for his “selfless dedication to the United States Army, unfailing support to his command and the military families of those serving the nation, (and for) his leadership that inspired youth in the local community,” according to a citation read at the gala.
- Guitars sought for military personnel (Times Reporter, 2-18-11) – Warren Henry Music in Chagrin Falls and the USO of Northern Ohio have teamed up to help bring music to military personnel serving overseas.
More from the USO
Aug 24, 2016
USO and the What To Expect Foundation Host Special Delivery Baby Shower in Dover
Being pregnant isn’t easy under the best of circumstances. But being pregnant and having a spouse in the military – or serving yourself – can make the expecting experience exponentially more difficult. That’s why the USO and the What to Expect Foundation, led by best-selling author Heidi Murkoff, team to bring Special Delivery Baby Showers to military bases around the world.
Aug 24, 2016
A Dish in the Desert: USO Piloting Expeditionary Satellite Internet Kit Program for Service Members Downrange
After months of research, two reinforced plastic cases arrived at Camp Shorab, a once-bustling Marine Corps base in Southwestern Afghanistan. When unpacked the packages’ color-coded contents provided a free USO internet connection for troops on the ground.