Check out some of these great stories featuring the USO and its centers in the news!
- Bobby Labonte Races For Win In Daytona 500 (The Auto Channel, 2-21-11) – 2000 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte raced for the win down to the wire in the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway and took fourth-place with his No. 47 Kroger/USO Toyota after leading once for two laps in the season-opener.
- Fort Drum Celebrates USO Birthday (IMCOM World News, 2-18-11) – Members and friends of the Fort Drum community stopped by the USO at lunchtime Feb. 4 to celebrate the organization’s 70th birthday and to honor an 87-year-old volunteer who has offered her time at New York-based USOs ever since President Franklin D. Roosevelt organized the group in 1941. “The USO still provides that home-away-from-home atmosphere, and a commitment to support our men and women in uniform and their Families,” said Karen Clark, USO Fort Drum director.
- Pat Catan’s donates $5,210 to USO of Northern Ohio (The Morning Journal, 2-20-11) – Pat Catan’s Craft Centers donated $5,210 to the USO of Northern Ohio to help them with the cost of shipping supplies to troops overseas. The Pat Catan’s in Amherst had the highest amount of donations collected.
- Lee Soldier among USO honorees (Army.mil, 2-17-11) – Fort Lee staff sergeant was among the honorees at the USO of Hampton Roads and Central Virginia 2011 Gala Saturday in the Hampton Roads Convention Center, Hampton. Staff Sgt. Robert A. Walker from the 108th Quartermaster Company, 530th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, 49th QM Group, was recognized for his “selfless dedication to the United States Army, unfailing support to his command and the military families of those serving the nation, (and for) his leadership that inspired youth in the local community,” according to a citation read at the gala.
- Guitars sought for military personnel (Times Reporter, 2-18-11) – Warren Henry Music in Chagrin Falls and the USO of Northern Ohio have teamed up to help bring music to military personnel serving overseas.
More from the USO
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.
May 13, 2017
'I'll Never Forget It": Why a USO Fourth of July T-shirt Can Mean So Much
Years ago, I wore my USO T-shirt to a Houston Astros game. Someone stopped me and said, “Thank you, sir.” I turned to see a man holding his young son by the hand. He said he was active duty, leaving soon for Afghanistan.
May 10, 2017
#Flex4Forces and Show Your Strength on Social Media
The USO invites you to get involved in our exciting new digital campaign, #Flex4Forces! The campaign calls on Americans to show their strength as a Force Behind the Forces by striking a biceps flex in support of our nation’s military and sharing it on social media.