From the rooftop of the White House to tents on Army bases in Iraq, the American flag flies proudly all around the world.
Here are 10 historical and present-day photos of Old Glory on military installations and USO centers across the globe to celebrate the red, white and blue.
1. Toby Keith performs for military families in front of the American flag in 2010.
2. The American flag flies over the mountains of Afghanistan in 2017.
3. Service members carry Old Glory on a ruck march in 2016.
4. The American flag adorns a casket during a burial at sea ceremony in 2009.
5. The American flag is raised on the battlefield of Iwo Jima in 1945.
6. The American flag flies in front of one of the first 3,000 USO centers operating during World War II in 1941.
7. USO legend Bob Hope continues his tradition of performing for the troops in 1983.
8. American GIs head to the shores of Normandy on D-Day in 1944.
9. An American flag stands proudly in Antarctica in 2010.
10. American flags can even be found underwater.
More from the USO
Sep 22, 2021
‘Miles Apart But Still in My Heart’: USO Supporter Crafts Cards for Service Members and Military Families
Americans have been mailing cards to members of the U.S. military for decades, hoping to lift the spirits of those serving our country away from home. But USO supporter Sharon Ware takes a different approach ¬– she shows her love for our nation’s military not by mailing cards, but by making them by hand and sharing them with the USO.
Sep 21, 2021
What is it Like to Be a USO Supporter in Alaska?
Whether staff members are catching a C-17 to fly out to Bethel, Alaska, or taking a two-day journey by land and sea to Cordova, Alaska, the USO Alaska team is ready to support service members and military families, no matter where their journey takes them in the state.
Sep 20, 2021
Meet the USO’s Global Ambassadors and Learn Why They Give More Than Thanks
For decades, actors, musicians, athletes and entertainers have joined the USO in supporting the troops. Now, the USO introduces the new USO Global Ambassadors who will act as a bridge between the civlian and military communities, and help raise awareness for the USO's crucial mission: Wilmer Valderrama and Kellie Pickler.