May is Military Appreciation Month and the USO has some exciting ways you can join the Force Behind the ForcesSM. Here’s five easy ways you can help us strengthen America’s military members by keeping them connected to family, home and country.
1. Ride With Lyft
Your small change can make a huge difference. Lyft launched its Round Up & Donate program this month and named the USO its charity of choice for the month of May in honor of Military Appreciation Month. When you request a ride with Lyft, you’ll have the option to round up your fare to the nearest dollar to benefit the USO.
Currently available through Android devices only, iOS coming soon.
2. Campaign to Connect
Join the USO, the Force Behind the Forces, by sending a personal message of support to our service members. Remember when service members opened up handwritten letters and notes? Well today, you can send a message to a service member online and the USO will display it on screens in USO centers around the globe.
3. Shop & Support at Kroger
Kroger’s family of stores will raise funds to support the USO by way of coin collection canisters, scan cards, pin ups, gift cards and a digital matching gift campaign. Here’s how you can support our service members and their families in-store:
- Harris Teeter – You will have the option to donate $1, $3 and $5 to USO at the register.
- Loaf ‘N Jug – Stores will give you the option to donate via coin collection and pin-ups displayed in store to show individual amounts donated by customers.
- Kroger – Drop your spare change in coin collection canisters at the register, donate a Kroger gift card in $5, $10 or $15 increments at the register, or donate any amount you want to USO at participating stores from May 15 - Sept. 8. You can also participate in the USO’s annual T-shirt campaign by visiting uso.org/get-your-shirt. Kroger will match all donations from May 1 – May 25, up to a total of $250,000.
4. ‘Chicken Soup for the Soul: Military Families’
Chicken Soup for the Soul, in collaboration with the USO, has a new collection of 101 stories by and for service members, veterans and their families, providing them with the support, advice and entertainment they deserve. Their stories are powerful – sometimes tragic, sometimes humorous – and always inspiring.
The 101 true, personal stories in “Chicken Soup for the Soul: Military Families” go on sale May 9 in stores nationwide. The book features a foreword by Bob Hope’s granddaughter, Miranda Hope, and service members and their families can read about their common experiences, from practical matters like moving and living in foreign countries, to handling the absence of loved ones, to creative ways to celebrate holidays.
The USO is a true partner in the collaboration, having worked closely with Chicken Soup for the Soul’s editors in selecting the stories and creating the book. USO will receive royalties of $.60 per book sold in paperback and eBook formats to support our work with service members and their families.
5. All-American Utz® Grillin’ Classics™ Potato Chips
Enjoy one of America’s favorite pastimes even more, knowing you’ve supporting our military. Utz® Quality Foods, LLC. is teaming up with the USO to support military service members and their families with the launch of its new Utz® Grillin’ Classics™ Potato Chips. The three new flavors include Cheeseburger, Sweet Corn and Grilled Hot Dog. Each bag purchased generates a donation to the USO. For more information on Utz snacks, visit utzsnacks.com.