Moms are the backbone of military families. Here are nine moments where the USO has come through for them:
1. Beamed in to the delivery room: Marine Capt. Nick Whitefield went downrange during the run-up to his wife, Laura Whitefield, delivering their second child. Thanks to USO technology, the couple got to see each other during that special moment.
2. USO/What To Expect Special Delivery Baby Showers: The USO works with The What To Expect Foundation and best-selling author Heidi Murkoff to deliver baby showers to military families around the world.
3. A juice and a snooze: How the USO gave a much-needed respite to one military mom and her young daughter when they got stranded while traveling to a funeral.
4. Cute overload: USO Arizona quickly rolled out the red carpet for an Air Force couple that moved across the country right before giving birth to quintuplets.
5. Staying connected with her kids around the world: When Amy DeRosa’s children started deploying, she wasn’t sure how often she’d get to talk to them. Then she found out about the USO.
6. A mother’s quiet moment at the USO: How the mom of a fallen soldier honored his memory - and felt a little closer to him - during an impromptu USO visit after his death.
7. Creative mom gets an assist on military daughter’s birthday: Jeanne McConnell had a history of surprising her daughter – Air Force Capt. Emily Arthur – on her birthday. Thanks to the USO, she was able to keep up the tradition even though Arthur was deployed to Afghanistan.
8. A twist on a birthday celebration: Air Force couple James and Cherrie Bell had a bunch of USO experiences over the years. So when their daughter turned 1, they wanted to set an example of giving back. Their efforts may have made her our youngest donor ever.
9. Giving a mom peace of mind: When Marlene Chapman’s daughter was stranded alone in the Denver airport overnight, their family knew exactly where to send her.
More from the USO
Oct 16, 2018
He Stays at Home With Their Two Boys While She Serves in Afghanistan
Former Air Force Major Brad Eychner has no illusions about his important role as a stay-at-home dad and military spouse. Learn how he came into this role and how he takes care of their two young boys while his wife is deployed.
Oct 12, 2018
7 Things to Cheer On The Navy’s Birthday
October 13 is the U.S. Navy’s 243rd birthday! Originally established during the Revolutionary War in 1775, the Navy has played a central role throughout history and today, it continues its mission of maintaining the freedom of the seas. Here are seven reasons to cheer the Navy’s birthday!