It’s easy to take the little things for granted. For most Americans, stocking up on snacks, baby wipes and Kleenex is as simple as heading to their local convenience store.
But for troops stationed an ocean away at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, stocking up on every day commodities can mean waiting on, or rationing from, care packages shipped from the United States. However, even the most thoughtful — and jam-packed — of care packages eventually runs empty.
Luckily, USO Bagram is there to help.
Thanks to the generous donations of supporters from around the world who provide USO Bagram with food, toiletries, and other personal care items, troops can head to the USO pantry to stock up on every day items they might need. In order to provide the troops with the supplies they need, the USO Bagram relies heavily on donations of food and personal care items sent to the center from USO supporters back at home.
Right now, USO Bagram is hosting a care package drive to stock up on snacks and toiletries to hand out to troops over the coming months. The USO Bagram staff has even created a wish list of their most needed supplies to help anyone who wants to create the ultimate box of goodies for the troops. Remember, even just one package worth of supplies can brighten a service member's day!
USO Bagram Care Package Wish List
- Healthy snacks: Jerky, trail mixes, granola bars and fruit snacks
- Drink mix packets: Gatorade, lemonade, iced tea and crystal light packets
- Microwavable food: Easy Mac, popcorn, Cup O’Noodles, Chef Boyardee, oatmeal and other snacks that come in their own bowl (dining ware is scarce in Afghanistan)
- Non-perishable food: Tuna cans or packets, fruit cups, peanut butter, Nutella, soups and other canned foods
- Chocolate: Wait until the winter months to send chocolate, as it will melt in the mail if sent now
- Toiletries: Travel-size shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, body wash, wet wipes and hand sanitizer (Please send these in separate boxes from food — no one likes shampoo-flavored oatmeal!)
Please send all care packages to the following address:
USO Bagram Pat Tillman Memorial Center APO, AE 09354
More from the USO
Jul 7, 2020
Meet the Mighty Quinns: USO of Illinois Volunteers and Military Supporters Extraordinaire
For almost 15 years Bob and Jeanie Quinn have dedicated their time and efforts to the O'Hare Airport Terminal 2 USO Center – but it goes way beyond that. As parents of service members themselves, they treat every single person who comes into the center like they are part of their own family.
Jul 6, 2020
Even During a Global Pandemic, the National Guard is Ready for Hurricane Season 2020
For the National Guard, hurricane season – June 1 through November 1, when conditions are ideal for hurricanes to form – is part of yearly planning. However, military officials say response efforts will be different this year in light of COVID-19 and the need to plan for personal protective equipment and other items.