[caption id=“attachment_11385” align=“aligncenter” width=“750”] A group of Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington-based airmen help the USO distribute Girl Scout Cookies. Photo courtesy of the Department of Defense[/caption]
It’s easy to take the little things for granted. For most Americans, stocking up on snacks, baby wipes and Kleenex is as simple as heading to their local convenience store.
But for troops stationed an ocean away at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, stocking up on every day commodities can mean waiting on, or rationing from, care packages shipped from the United States. However, even the most thoughtful — and jam-packed — of care packages eventually runs empty.
Luckily, USO Bagram is there to help.
Thanks to the generous donations of supporters from around the world who provide USO Bagram with food, toiletries, and other personal care items, troops can head to the USO pantry to stock up on every day items they might need. In order to provide the troops with the supplies they need, the USO Bagram relies heavily on donations of food and personal care items sent to the center from USO supporters back at home.
Right now, USO Bagram is hosting a care package drive to stock up on snacks and toiletries to hand out to troops over the coming months. The USO Bagram staff has even created a wish list of their most needed supplies to help anyone who wants to create the ultimate box of goodies for the troops. Remember, even just one package worth of supplies can brighten a service member's day!
USO Bagram Care Package Wish List
- Healthy snacks: Jerky, trail mixes, granola bars and fruit snacks
- Drink mix packets: Gatorade, lemonade, iced tea and crystal light packets
- Microwavable food: Easy Mac, popcorn, Cup O’Noodles, Chef Boyardee, oatmeal and other snacks that come in their own bowl (dining ware is scarce in Afghanistan)
- Non-perishable food: Tuna cans or packets, fruit cups, peanut butter, Nutella, soups and other canned foods
- Chocolate: Wait until the winter months to send chocolate, as it will melt in the mail if sent now
- Toiletries: Travel-size shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, body wash, wet wipes and hand sanitizer (Please send these in separate boxes from food — no one likes shampoo-flavored oatmeal!)
Please send all care packages to the following address:
USO Bagram Pat Tillman Memorial Center APO, AE 09354
More from the USO
Aug 24, 2016
USO and the What To Expect Foundation Host Special Delivery Baby Shower in Dover
Being pregnant isn’t easy under the best of circumstances. But being pregnant and having a spouse in the military – or serving yourself – can make the expecting experience exponentially more difficult. That’s why the USO and the What to Expect Foundation, led by best-selling author Heidi Murkoff, team to bring Special Delivery Baby Showers to military bases around the world.
Aug 24, 2016
A Dish in the Desert: USO Piloting Expeditionary Satellite Internet Kit Program for Service Members Downrange
After months of research, two reinforced plastic cases arrived at Camp Shorab, a once-bustling Marine Corps base in Southeastern Afghanistan. When unpacked the packages’ color-coded contents provided a free USO internet connection for troops on the ground.