How well do you know your USO history? Take this week’s USO quiz. (Answers at the bottom.)
1. In the mid-to-late 1950s what month was designated “USO Month”? A. April B. July C. November D. February
2. What was the first USO center to bear the name of an individual, dedicated on April 15, 1967? A. Bob Hope USO in Los Angeles B. Gen. Douglas MacArthur USO in New York City C. Joe Barr USO in Fayetteville, North Carolina D. Edwin E. Bond Memorial USO in Ayer, Massachusetts
3. What entertainer canceled contracts worth upwards of $100,000 in 1968 in order to perform USO shows in Vietnam? A. Bob Hope B. Sammy Davis, Jr. C. James Brown D. Wayne Newton
4. When and where was Marilyn Monroe’s USO tour? A. 1955 in Guam B. 1956 in Japan C. 1954 in England D. 1954 in Korea
5. What was USO’s promotional campaign theme in 1970? A. When You Say Goodbye, USO Says Hello B. Someone You Know Needs USO C. USO Is There Only If You Care D. You Help Someone You Know, When You Give to USO
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. A; 2. D; 3. C; 4. D; 5. A
More from the USO
Jun 25, 2017
19 Photos to Remember the Korean War 67 Years After it Erupted
All too often, the Korean War -- and the veterans who fought in it -- get lost in the shuffle, but the USO wants to make sure the conflict wedged between World War II and Vietnam gets the attention that it deserves, especially on the day it began 67 years ago.
Jun 20, 2017
USO Pathfinder Helps Transitioning Military Members Chart New Course
Since 1941, the USO has strengthened military service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country, throughout their military service. Its introduction of USO Pathfinder is its latest extension of that commitment to the American military family.
Jun 20, 2017
USO Yokosuka Pivots to Provide Military Families with 24-Hour Support After USS Fitzgerald Crash
When the USO Yokosuka staff first heard about the early-morning USS Fitzgerald crash on June 17 they didn’t know what type of support they would be asked to provide. Nonetheless, they and their volunteers were ready for the call.