How well do you know your USO history? Take this week’s USO quiz. (Answers at the bottom.)
1. In the mid-to-late 1950s what month was designated “USO Month”? A. April B. July C. November D. February
2. What was the first USO center to bear the name of an individual, dedicated on April 15, 1967? A. Bob Hope USO in Los Angeles B. Gen. Douglas MacArthur USO in New York City C. Joe Barr USO in Fayetteville, North Carolina D. Edwin E. Bond Memorial USO in Ayer, Massachusetts
3. What entertainer canceled contracts worth upwards of $100,000 in 1968 in order to perform USO shows in Vietnam? A. Bob Hope B. Sammy Davis, Jr. C. James Brown D. Wayne Newton
4. When and where was Marilyn Monroe’s USO tour? A. 1955 in Guam B. 1956 in Japan C. 1954 in England D. 1954 in Korea
5. What was USO’s promotional campaign theme in 1970? A. When You Say Goodbye, USO Says Hello B. Someone You Know Needs USO C. USO Is There Only If You Care D. You Help Someone You Know, When You Give to USO
Highlight the line below to see the answers: 1. A; 2. D; 3. C; 4. D; 5. A
More from the USO
Aug 24, 2016
USO and the What To Expect Foundation Host Special Delivery Baby Shower in Dover
Being pregnant isn’t easy under the best of circumstances. But being pregnant and having a spouse in the military – or serving yourself – can make the expecting experience exponentially more difficult. That’s why the USO and the What to Expect Foundation, led by best-selling author Heidi Murkoff, team to bring Special Delivery Baby Showers to military bases around the world.
Aug 24, 2016
A Dish in the Desert: USO Piloting Expeditionary Satellite Internet Kit Program for Service Members Downrange
After months of research, two reinforced plastic cases arrived at Camp Shorab, a once-bustling Marine Corps base in Southwestern Afghanistan. When unpacked the packages’ color-coded contents provided a free USO internet connection for troops on the ground.