Have you signed up to host a Barbecue for the Troops for the summer yet? Be sure to use one of our amazing recipes!
Today we’re featuring a caesar salad recipe found in the 1993 USO Celebrity Cookbook by singer & actor Kenny Rogers!
Chicken Salad a la Rogers
- 2 cups of pouched chicken (white meat)
- 3 dill pickles (non-kosher), skinned
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- ½ cup of slivered almonds
- 1 stalk celery, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced or ¼ cup sweet onion cut into ¼-inch dice
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup prepared or homemade mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pull chicken from the bone, rather than cutting it
- Peel pickles with potato peeler and chop
- In mixing bowl mix together chicken, celery and scallions
- In small bowl whisk together mayo, lemon juice and mustard
- Gently stir dressing into mixing bowl
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve on bed of lettuce
More from the USO
Jul 20, 2016
'We’re Here for the Soldiers’: How One Volunteer Couple Answered the Call to Serve at USO Fort Hood
Anne Cosper always wanted to volunteer at the USO. So when her daughter, who currently serves in the U.S. Army, was reassigned to Fort Hood – only an hour drive from her Georgetown, Texas, home – she decided it was the perfect opportunity to get involved at the USO center on base.
Jul 20, 2016
How USO SeaTac’s ‘Banana’ Bob Got His Nickname
Bob Harris first began volunteering at the USO Northwest Seattle-Tacoma International Airport center in 2013. Shortly after he started, he was asked if he’d be interested in picking up donated bananas and bringing them to the airport center once a week. It wasn’t long after his first delivery that Bob realized the donations runs had earned him a new nickname.