Today we have one submitted by Debbie Fink, Author, ‘Edu-tainer,’ USO Tour Vet: Operation Thanksgiving Eagle and The Little C.H.A.M.P.S – Child Heroes Attached to Military Personnel.
Truth be told, we don’t know if the Andrews Sisters had a favorite pumpkin bread; hence, we renamed this mouth-watering pumpkin bread recipe in their memory! If the recipe had been around during their USO heyday, it would’ve been their “go-to” Americana treat!
The Andrews Sisters were American icons, known for their close harmonies and endearing performances. They clocked in nearly 1,000 USO performances over their illustrious careers, lifting the spirits of our troops [and their families] during the first half of the 20th century.
The Andrews Sisters Pumpkin Bread:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ - 2 cups chocolate chips (preferably dark chocolate)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease three small loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Lightly flour the pans.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Beat them slightly.
- Add the sugar. Mix.
- Add the oil and water. Mix.
- Add the pumpkin. Mix.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, mixing in between.
- Mix very well, until the batter is smooth.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips. Mix in very well.
- Pour the mixture into three greased pans.
- Bake for 46-60 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if the loaves are done.
- Stick the toothpick in and pull it right out. If it’s dry, the bread is done.
More from the USO
Aug 24, 2016
USO and the What To Expect Foundation Host Special Delivery Baby Shower in Dover
Being pregnant isn’t easy under the best of circumstances. But being pregnant and having a spouse in the military – or serving yourself – can make the expecting experience exponentially more difficult. That’s why the USO and the What to Expect Foundation, led by best-selling author Heidi Murkoff, team to bring Special Delivery Baby Showers to military bases around the world.
Aug 24, 2016
A Dish in the Desert: USO Piloting Expeditionary Satellite Internet Kit Program for Service Members Downrange
After months of research, two reinforced plastic cases arrived at Camp Shorab, a once-bustling Marine Corps base in Southwestern Afghanistan. When unpacked the packages’ color-coded contents provided a free USO internet connection for troops on the ground.