Today we have one submitted by Debbie Fink, Author, ‘Edu-tainer,’ USO Tour Vet: Operation Thanksgiving Eagle and The Little C.H.A.M.P.S – Child Heroes Attached to Military Personnel.
Truth be told, we don’t know if the Andrews Sisters had a favorite pumpkin bread; hence, we renamed this mouth-watering pumpkin bread recipe in their memory! If the recipe had been around during their USO heyday, it would’ve been their “go-to” Americana treat!
The Andrews Sisters were American icons, known for their close harmonies and endearing performances. They clocked in nearly 1,000 USO performances over their illustrious careers, lifting the spirits of our troops [and their families] during the first half of the 20th century.
The Andrews Sisters Pumpkin Bread:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ - 2 cups chocolate chips (preferably dark chocolate)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease three small loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Lightly flour the pans.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Beat them slightly.
- Add the sugar. Mix.
- Add the oil and water. Mix.
- Add the pumpkin. Mix.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, mixing in between.
- Mix very well, until the batter is smooth.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips. Mix in very well.
- Pour the mixture into three greased pans.
- Bake for 46-60 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if the loaves are done.
- Stick the toothpick in and pull it right out. If it’s dry, the bread is done.
More from the USO
May 25, 2017
NBC's 'This Is Us' Cast Visits Service Members and Military Families on USO Tour at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
It was a morning to remember. A group of stars from NBC’s “This Is Us” – Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson and Chris Sullivan – spent a morning visiting service members and their families at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst as part of a USO entertainment tour.
May 24, 2017
After Struggling to Find His Place in the World, Marine Finds Two Families – and His Place in Both
Deron Johnson didn't plan on joining the military, but he ended up a Marine. He also didn't anticipate becoming a fraternity brother at Texas A&M, but then came Theta Chi and its history of supporting the military - and the USO.
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.