Today we’re featuring a caesar salad recipe found in the 1993 USO Celebrity Cookbook from Barbara Bush!
In 2010, George Bush, 41st president of the United States, and Mrs. Barbara Bush hosted a special event celebrating the USO at the George Bush Presidential Library Center. The event included remarks from the panelists about the ongoing mission of the USO and an audience question-and-answer session.
More recently, the USO announced this week that it will dedicate its next Warrior and Family Center to Prescott S. Bush, which you can learn more about on USO.org.
Barbara Bush’s Caesar Salad
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 4 cups of bread cubes
- 4 quarts of assorted lettuce greens
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 teaspoon of pepper
- 12 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of crumbled Blue cheese
- 1 egg
- 7 tablespoons f lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Cut garlic into quarters and let set in ½ cup of olive oil overnight (out of refrigerator).
- Put bread cubes in a shallow pan and toast at 300 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown, turning with a fork. After cooling wrap them with wax paper until needed.
- Sprinkle lettuce greens with Parmesan cheese, Blue cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil (not the oil treated with garlic).
- Mix together 1 egg, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over salad and toss.
- Mix croutons with olive oil treated with garlic and add to salad.
More from the USO
May 25, 2017
NBC's 'This Is Us' Cast Visits Service Members and Military Families on USO Tour at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
It was a morning to remember. A group of stars from NBC’s “This Is Us” – Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson and Chris Sullivan – spent a morning visiting service members and their families at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst as part of a USO entertainment tour.
May 24, 2017
After Struggling to Find His Place in the World, Marine Finds Two Families – and His Place in Both
Deron Johnson didn't plan on joining the military, but he ended up a Marine. He also didn't anticipate becoming a fraternity brother at Texas A&M, but then came Theta Chi and its history of supporting the military - and the USO.
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.