Today we’re featuring a caesar salad recipe found in the 1993 USO Celebrity Cookbook from Barbara Bush!
In 2010, George Bush, 41st president of the United States, and Mrs. Barbara Bush hosted a special event celebrating the USO at the George Bush Presidential Library Center. The event included remarks from the panelists about the ongoing mission of the USO and an audience question-and-answer session.
More recently, the USO announced this week that it will dedicate its next Warrior and Family Center to Prescott S. Bush, which you can learn more about on USO.org.
Barbara Bush’s Caesar Salad
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 4 cups of bread cubes
- 4 quarts of assorted lettuce greens
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 teaspoon of pepper
- 12 teaspoons of olive oil
- ½ cup of crumbled Blue cheese
- 1 egg
- 7 tablespoons f lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Cut garlic into quarters and let set in ½ cup of olive oil overnight (out of refrigerator).
- Put bread cubes in a shallow pan and toast at 300 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown, turning with a fork. After cooling wrap them with wax paper until needed.
- Sprinkle lettuce greens with Parmesan cheese, Blue cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil (not the oil treated with garlic).
- Mix together 1 egg, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over salad and toss.
- Mix croutons with olive oil treated with garlic and add to salad.
More from the USO
Feb 9, 2017
Baking a Difference: Dog Tag Bakery Provides Job Training and Community for Transitioning Service Members
Upon first glance, Dog Tag Bakery seems like any other cafe. But one look at the patriotic décor – like the dog tag chandelier – and it’s clear there's more going on behind the counter than cake decorating.