If you’ve signed up to host your own Barbecue for the Troops this summer, you probably very excited to have fun with loved ones while supporting our troops!
To help you get started, we here at the USO, as well as our partners and friends, will be sharing some of our favorite recipes for you to make for your summer BBQ!
Bob Hope is an American icon who truly understood the USO’s mission of lifting the spirits of our troops and their families. Over half a century he headlined over 57 tours with the USO and in 1997 was named an “Honorary Veteran.”
Bob Hope’s Favorite Lemon Pie
- 1 Cup of Sugar, plus two Tablespoons
- 1 Cup of Boiling Water
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Corn Starch
- 4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Pie Crust
- 1 Grated Rind of Lemon (Zest)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake pie crust according to directions
- Mix 3 egg whites, beaten stiff, and two tablespoons of suger to make meringue
- Combine corn starch and cup of sugar in a sauce pan. Add water slowly, starring constantly, until thick and smooth
- Add slightly beaten egg yolks, butter, lemon rind and juice, and salt
- Cook 3 minutes on medium high heat and then pour into baked pie crust
- Cover lemon pie with meringue and bake in oven for 15 minutes or until light brown
Stay tuned for more great recipes you can make for your Barbecue for the Troops!
More from the USO
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.
May 13, 2017
'I'll Never Forget It": Why a USO Fourth of July T-shirt Can Mean So Much
Years ago, I wore my USO T-shirt to a Houston Astros game. Someone stopped me and said, “Thank you, sir.” I turned to see a man holding his young son by the hand. He said he was active duty, leaving soon for Afghanistan.
May 10, 2017
#Flex4Forces and Show Your Strength on Social Media
The USO invites you to get involved in our exciting new digital campaign, #Flex4Forces! The campaign calls on Americans to show their strength as a Force Behind the Forces by striking a biceps flex in support of our nation’s military and sharing it on social media.