If you’ve signed up to host your own Barbecue for the Troops this summer, you probably very excited to have fun with loved ones while supporting our troops!
To help you get started, we here at the USO, as well as our partners and friends, will be sharing some of our favorite recipes for you to make for your summer BBQ!
Bob Hope is an American icon who truly understood the USO’s mission of lifting the spirits of our troops and their families. Over half a century he headlined over 57 tours with the USO and in 1997 was named an “Honorary Veteran.”
Bob Hope’s Favorite Lemon Pie
- 1 Cup of Sugar, plus two Tablespoons
- 1 Cup of Boiling Water
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Corn Starch
- 4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Pie Crust
- 1 Grated Rind of Lemon (Zest)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Bake pie crust according to directions
- Mix 3 egg whites, beaten stiff, and two tablespoons of suger to make meringue
- Combine corn starch and cup of sugar in a sauce pan. Add water slowly, starring constantly, until thick and smooth
- Add slightly beaten egg yolks, butter, lemon rind and juice, and salt
- Cook 3 minutes on medium high heat and then pour into baked pie crust
- Cover lemon pie with meringue and bake in oven for 15 minutes or until light brown
Stay tuned for more great recipes you can make for your Barbecue for the Troops!
More from the USO
Sep 18, 2017
Celebrating the Air Force's 70th Birthday in 360° at the Air Force Memorial
In honor of the Air Force's 70th anniversary on September 18, we stopped by the Air Force Memorial to capture birthday shoutouts for the organization from service members, military family members and civilians -- all in 360°. Take a look.