Building a house from scratch has a lot of hidden costs. Building a 20,000-square-foot home away from home for wounded, ill and injured troops and their caregivers takes a lot more than a weekend trip to Lowe’s.[caption id=“” align=“alignleft” width=“348”] The golf simulator - donated by Full Swing Golf - has been one of the most popular attractions during previews of the USO Warrior and Family Center at Fort Belvoir, Va. USO Photo by Eric Brandner[/caption]
The USO Warrior and Family Center – which held its grand opening Tuesday – cost more than $12 million to build. However, it would have been infinitely harder and costlier to assemble without in-kind donations from multiple companies, organizations and individuals.
“It’s so unique that we have varied donors,” USO of Metropolitan Washington Chief Operating Officer Cheryl Laaker Hall said. “For these companies to give us things that our their signature items, it means a lot for our organization.”
The following companies, listed alphabetically, made significant in-kind donations to the USO Warrior and Family Center at Fort Belvoir, Va.:
- Activision: 16 video game titles
- AMTICO International Inc.: 3,015 square feet of Urban Metal bronze vinyl tile
- Bed Bath and Beyond, Inc.: Hundreds of items including appliances (toasters, vacuums, etc.) to kitchen cookware, utensils, place settings and towels
- CISCO Systems, Inc.: Computer hardware, software and services totaling more than $110,000
- Curt Kolcun: Microsoft Xbox consoles
- Dow Chemical: 6,000 square feet of vegetative roofing insulation
- EA Sports: 25 video game titles
- Gull Swing Golf: A golf simulator valued at $50,000
- Lafarge North America: Gypsum drywall
- Microsoft: IT Academy software for technology education
- Omnifics: Furniture storage
- Petersen Aluminum Corporation: Metal roof panels
- Robert Bost Associates: One lot of acoustic material for second floor areas including the music room
- Roppe Flooring Products: Rubber stair treads, tile and nosings
- Traveling Guitar Foundation: Guitars
- The Valspar Corporation: 520 gallons of paint
- Verizon Federal Inc.: Internal wiring and installation
- Whirlpool Corporation: Maytag appliances for the kitchen (cooktop, dishwasher, refrigerators, etc.) and a washer and dryer
–Story by Eric Brandner, USO Director of Story Development
More from the USO
May 25, 2017
NBC's 'This Is Us' Cast Visits Service Members and Military Families on USO Tour at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
It was a morning to remember. A group of stars from NBC’s “This Is Us” – Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Chrissy Metz, Justin Hartley, Susan Kelechi Watson and Chris Sullivan – spent a morning visiting service members and their families at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst as part of a USO entertainment tour.
May 24, 2017
After Struggling to Find His Place in the World, Marine Finds Two Families – and His Place in Both
Deron Johnson didn't plan on joining the military, but he ended up a Marine. He also didn't anticipate becoming a fraternity brother at Texas A&M, but then came Theta Chi and its history of supporting the military - and the USO.
May 15, 2017
USO Operation Birthday Cake Brings the Party to Service Members in Japan
When Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeffrey Lee received an urgent call to head to his work station one morning, he thought there was something seriously wrong, but there was no emergency. Instead, he walked into his own surprise birthday celebration, courtesy of his wife, USO Yokosuka and the Operation Birthday Cake Program.