Building a house from scratch has a lot of hidden costs. Building a 20,000-square-foot home away from home for wounded, ill and injured troops and their caregivers takes a lot more than a weekend trip to Lowe’s.[caption id=“” align=“alignleft” width=“348”] The golf simulator - donated by Full Swing Golf - has been one of the most popular attractions during previews of the USO Warrior and Family Center at Fort Belvoir, Va. USO Photo by Eric Brandner[/caption]
The USO Warrior and Family Center – which held its grand opening Tuesday – cost more than $12 million to build. However, it would have been infinitely harder and costlier to assemble without in-kind donations from multiple companies, organizations and individuals.
“It’s so unique that we have varied donors,” USO of Metropolitan Washington Chief Operating Officer Cheryl Laaker Hall said. “For these companies to give us things that our their signature items, it means a lot for our organization.”
The following companies, listed alphabetically, made significant in-kind donations to the USO Warrior and Family Center at Fort Belvoir, Va.:
- Activision: 16 video game titles
- AMTICO International Inc.: 3,015 square feet of Urban Metal bronze vinyl tile
- Bed Bath and Beyond, Inc.: Hundreds of items including appliances (toasters, vacuums, etc.) to kitchen cookware, utensils, place settings and towels
- CISCO Systems, Inc.: Computer hardware, software and services totaling more than $110,000
- Curt Kolcun: Microsoft Xbox consoles
- Dow Chemical: 6,000 square feet of vegetative roofing insulation
- EA Sports: 25 video game titles
- Gull Swing Golf: A golf simulator valued at $50,000
- Lafarge North America: Gypsum drywall
- Microsoft: IT Academy software for technology education
- Omnifics: Furniture storage
- Petersen Aluminum Corporation: Metal roof panels
- Robert Bost Associates: One lot of acoustic material for second floor areas including the music room
- Roppe Flooring Products: Rubber stair treads, tile and nosings
- Traveling Guitar Foundation: Guitars
- The Valspar Corporation: 520 gallons of paint
- Verizon Federal Inc.: Internal wiring and installation
- Whirlpool Corporation: Maytag appliances for the kitchen (cooktop, dishwasher, refrigerators, etc.) and a washer and dryer
–Story by Eric Brandner, USO Director of Story Development
More from the USO
Nov 22, 2017
NFL Game Pass Connects Troops in Kuwait to the Teams They Love
Troops will stay up all night long to watch their favorite NFL teams play, and the USO stays up with them. At Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, NFL Game Pass brings every game to the USO and it's the perfect touch of home for the military population living there.
Nov 19, 2017
Football Legend Joe Theismann Sends Heartfelt Thank You Message to American Troops
We caught up with Washington Redskins legend Joe Theismann at the USO Warrior and Family Center at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, recently and he had some motivating words for our men and women in uniform.
Nov 19, 2017
Combat Cooking with USO Camp Arifjan: Volunteer Jamie's Lasagna Roll-Ups
With Thanksgiving a few days away, we’re kicking off our Combat Cooking series with this tasty lasagna roll-up recipe created by USO Camp Arifjan volunteer Army Sgt. Jamie Reed. Reed, who hails from Oregon, but is stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky., frequently volunteers her culinary skills at USO Camp Arifjan in Kuwait.