For some children, “back to school” can mean back to bullies.
Bullying is especially common for military children who, according to the Military Child Education Coalition, move about six to nine times from kindergarten to twelfth grade.
So where’s the good news? Trevor Romain is setting out to help military children in Europe identify and change bullying behavior! During his USO tour, Trevor will also discuss how to recognize the signs that your child is being bullied (or is bullying others), how to talk to your kids about bullying and ways families can cope with this important issue together.
You can hear Trevor’s thoughts about bullying behavior and how to handle it and how Trevor discusses these problems with military children in his interview with the Department of Defense Education Activity. [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DrW5wQZbx0] Bullying Statistics
- About 71 percent of students report bullying as an on-going problem they face at school.
- Over half of all students have witnessed a bullying crime take place while at school.
- A reported 15 percent of all students who don’t show up for school report it to being out of fear of being bullied while at school.
- About one out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- About 282,000 students are reportedly attacked in high schools throughout the nation each month.
As a nationally-recognized children’s motivational speaker and author, Trevor will also share the USO’s With You All the Way program with military children. Through a partnership between the USO and the Comfort Crew for Military Kids and the Trevor Romain Company, this program focuses on helping children and families cope with deployment, reintegration, and what happens when a parent returns from combat with wounds, both seen and unseen.
People often forget about the sacrifices and hardships that are unique for military children. At the USO, we understand the difficulties military children endure and we are so proud to partner with Trevor in our mission to support and connect with our military children around the world.
Thank you Trevor! [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSm3jq5ClBQ]
- Sarah Camille Hipp, Communications Specialist
More from the USO
Sep 18, 2017
Celebrating the Air Force's 70th Birthday in 360° at the Air Force Memorial
In honor of the Air Force's 70th anniversary on September 18, we stopped by the Air Force Memorial to capture birthday shoutouts for the organization from service members, military family members and civilians -- all in 360°. Take a look.